Let's talk about earthquakes, which are common and devastating natural disasters. In this lesson, I'll help you build your vocabulary and understand different words and phrases that are related to earthquakes.
We will read several articles and I will highlight some precise words that will help you better understand this topic if you continue to read about earthquakes or talk about them in conversation.
Learn more about Nuestros Pequeños Hermanos:
Learn more about St. Damien's Hospital:
VOCABULARY FROM THE LESSON
1. Magnitude – measure of how strong or violet and earthquake is
2. Struck (past) – to cause a person or place to suffer severely from the effects of something very unpleasant that happens suddenly
3. Widespread – existing or happening in many places and/or among many people
Death toll – the number of people who die because of an event such as war or an accident
5. Search and rescue – the search for an offer of aid to people who are in distress or in danger
6. Collapse – to fall down suddenly because of pressure or having no strength or support
Rubble – piles of broken stones and bricks, etc. that is left when a building falls down or is destroyed
8. Epicenter – the point on the earth’s surface directly above an earthquake
9. Cave in – when the ceiling, roof, or other structure breaks and falls into the space below
Take matters into (one’s) own hands – to deal with a problem yourself because the people who should have dealt with it have failed to do so
11. Tremors – a slight earthquake
Reeling – very confused or shocked and unable to act
13. Devastating/devastated – cause a lot of damage or destruction
ARTICLES FROM THE LESSON
Haiti earthquake: Facts, FAQs, and how to help
Drone footage shows damage near Haiti quake epicenter as death toll tops 2,100
Tremors strike Haitian city still reeling from quake
HELP SUPPORT INTERACTIVE ENGLISH 💖
Become a Member on YouTube 🎊
Support Our Lessons On Patreon (awesome rewards) 🎉
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY 📬
(Access the Secret Fluency Lesson) 🤫
CHECK OUT OUR SPEAKING COURSE 💬
Learn more about enrolling in Speak Up!
This course will help you:
✅ speak confidently and effectively
✅ improve both listening and pronunciation
✅ learn new vocabulary, idioms, & expressions
✅ overcome speaking anxiety
LINKS TO PRACTICE & IMPROVE YOUR ENGLISH ✅
Find a teacher with italki. Buy 1 lesson, get $10 free credits: 🙋
Eliminate Writing Mistakes ✍
Wes’ Teaching Adventures 🌎
Happy Time Go Fast (South Korea):
Watermelon Is Life (Namibia):
**Please know that links to italki and Grammarly are affiliate links. We earn commission through these links.
FOLLOW INTERACTIVE ENGLISH 👍
OTHER SHOUT-OUTS 💬
Royalty-free images provided by Pixabay
MESSAGE TO YOU 😊
Thanks so much for being a part of our community. Learning English is an enriching experience that brings everyone all around the world closer together. Be sure to say “Hello” and write to us in the comments. We love hearing from all of you.
THANKS FOR WATCHING!